Aldershot dentist explains porcelain veneers treatment for transforming the smile
If you are unhappy with any part of your smile, you are a candidate for cosmetic dental services from Dentistry at LaSalle in Aldershot, ON. Perhaps you’ve heard of the term smile makeover. This type of cosmetic transformation often includes porcelain veneers because they are a versatile solution to improve the shape, size, color, and contours of permanent teeth. Veneers can be custom fabricated to give you a and show stopping smile.
A little bit about porcelain veneers
The term veneer refers to a thin, decorative cover. When it comes to teeth, porcelain veneers are simply a covering for the permanent tooth. These coverings are made from porcelain, because it is a strong ceramic material that mimics the translucency, color, and durability of natural tooth enamel.
Porcelain veneers can be used in many different situations. They can be used to fix a single tooth, or they can be used on multiple teeth to truly transform the smile.
The most common uses for porcelain veneers are:
- To close spaces between teeth
- To improve the appearance of teeth that have experienced erosion, decay, or worn enamel
- To alter the shape, length, or width of a tooth
- To improve symmetry and create the appearance of teeth that are properly aligned
- To cover fractures or chips
- To cover permanent discoloration
- To improve the brightness of teeth
It all starts with a consultation
Before you become a candidate for porcelain veneers, it’s important that you schedule a consultation appointment. During this visit, we will examine your teeth and gums, but more importantly we will discuss your concerns and your expectations after veneers. It’s important for patients to have realistic expectations of both what veneers can and cannot accomplish. Once we determine that you are a good candidate for veneers, we can move forward with the procedure.
Book an Appointment today.
Preparation for veneers
The first part of receiving porcelain veneers is preparation. The dentist will need to prepare the teeth for placement of the veneers, which involves removing a small portion of the enamel. Doing this allows the veneers to be attached to front of the teeth and sit flush within the smile We will take impressions of the teeth along with preferences on color and shape. All this information will be sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication of the veneers. It typically takes about two weeks for the veneers to be made.
Placing the veneers
During the second appointment, the veneers will be temporarily placed to check for proper size and shape. Small adjustments can be made in the office. Once you feel comfortable with the way the veneers fit and the dentist is satisfied, the veneers can be permanently bonded into place with dental cement. The cement is hardened by a special light beam to make the veneer secure.
Caring for your porcelain veneers
Once you have your brand-new smile, it’s important to follow a few key steps to keep the veneers safe. By taking the time to care for your veneers, you can help ensure that your smile looks great.
- Do not chew on hard objects – If you are a nail biter, use your teeth for opening things, or tend to bite on pens or straws, it’s time to stop. These habits can all damage your porcelain veneers.
- Get them polished – At our office, we can use a special solution and equipment to thoroughly clean and polish veneers, which will keep them looking top notch.
- Protect your teeth – If you participate in contact sports, it’s important to protect your mouth. (The same holds true even if you don’t have veneers). Wear a mouth guard while playing sports to protect your teeth from injury and to save yourself the cost of having to repair your veneers.
- Stop grinding your teeth – Grinding and clenching, called bruxism, can greatly damage your porcelain veneers. If you have issues with grinding, we can discuss custom night guards.
A beautiful smile can really improve your confidence and self-esteem. Veneers are just one of the many cosmetic solutions we offer at Dentistry at LaSalle. To schedule your cosmetic dentistry consultation, please call us today at (905) 481-9078.