Burlington parents ask, “Will Invisalign orthodontic services work for children?”
Braces with metal brackets and sharp wires used to be the norm for many children and teens. While this orthodontic treatment was, and still is, effective, many kids don’t want to deal with the change in appearance, or the pain that traditional orthodontics can cause. With the growing popularity of Invisalign orthodontic services, Dr. Swati Khanna of LaSalle Dentistry advises parents that Invisalign can be the right orthodontic treatment for some children.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign orthodontic treatment, which uses clear alignment trays to gently shift the teeth into the proper position, offers several benefits for patients of any age:
- Removable: Because the alignment trays are removable, patients don’t have to give up their favorite foods and can more easily brush and floss their teeth. Often, patients using traditional orthodontics forget that sticky or hard foods can break or damage the brackets and wires, causing pain and unexpected visits to the orthodontist. With Invisalign, patients can take the trays out, eat whatever they want, and put them back in. Additionally, traditional braces make it harder to brush and floss your teeth. Many children aren’t compliant with using the flossing threaders that take the floss behind the wires and simply skip the practice.
- Clear trays: The clear trays are an obvious benefit for children and adult patients. Instead of being self-conscious about their appearance, the trays are practical invisible.
- Effective treatment: If a child is responsible and wears the trays appropriately, Invisalign treatment is a very effective orthodontic solution. In fact, many children experience faster results than their parents.
Book an Appointment
Customized solutions are important
When considering orthodontic treatment for your child, there are several things to think about, including:
- Compliance: The alignment trays can’t work if they’re not in your child’s mouth. If you’re worried that your child won’t put them back in after eating, or will accidentally toss them in the garbage, you may want to consider an alternative solution.
- Complexity of treatment: Invisalign is a great treatment for patients who have mild to moderate misalignment. However, children who have severe misalignment or bite issues may be better served with a different orthodontic treatment.
To learn more about Invisalign, call Dr. Khanna today at (905) 481-9078.