Family dentist near me in Aldershot offers tips to keeping teeth healthy
Visiting a family dentist “near me” in the Aldershot and Burlington, ON area is a great way to ensure a healthy smile. Our team of professionals educate patients on tips to keep the teeth and gums healthy, which can reduce the possibility of developing issues such as periodontal disease or tooth decay. Below, Dr. Swati Khanna provides several solutions for maintaining a healthy smile for many years to come and offers ways to monitor oral health with the assistance of the dental team at Dentistry at LaSalle.
- Brush and floss after every meal. It is important to ensure that food particles and sugary drinks are not left on the teeth for extended periods of time. It is beneficial for patients to maintain their oral health with brushing and flossing whenever possible. Our team can advise patients on how to properly do so to ensure results.
- Reduce sugary and acidic foods. Many sugars and acids can sit on the surfaces of the teeth and gums and develop into plaque and tartar, which harbor bacteria that can cause an infection. Periodontal disease is generally preventable, and when patients maintain a healthy diet, they can reduce their risk of developing gum disease.
- Add fluoride to your treatments. Using a fluoride toothpaste or having our team of professionals apply fluoride is a terrific way to maintain hard enamel on the teeth and reduce the risk of developing tooth decay.
- Protect the smile from injury. Injuries to the soft tissues of the mouth or to the natural teeth can negatively impact the smile. If a tooth is knocked out during an impact sport, it may not be able to be saved if dental advice is not immediately sought. We encourage patients to take great care in protecting their teeth and gums with a special sports mouth guard when involved in high impact sports.
- Avoid using teeth for other activities. Your teeth are meant to chew food, so do not use them to open packaging, remove caps from bottles, chew on ice, or crack nuts. This can result in chipping or breaking of the teeth that will need to be repaired.
- Ask for sealants. Some patients who may be at a higher risk of developing cavities, may benefit from sealant applications on the teeth.
- Seek dental assistance immediately for concerns between routine visits. There is no reason for a patient to wait if they notice any changes to their smile that may indicate an issue. Signs of gum disease are easily noticed with changes in the smell of the breath, the color of the gums, and when patients notice bleeding when they brush and floss their teeth. These are signs of a problem. Additionally, tooth decay may be obvious when patients notice extreme sensitivity when they eat certain foods or drink beverages of certain temperatures. All these signs may indicate a serious issue that should be evaluated as soon as possible by a quality dental team – instead of waiting for the six-month evaluation.
- Visit the dentist regularly. There is a reason the team at Dentistry at LaSalle wants to see patients on a routine basis. Every six months, patients are encouraged to visit Dr. Swati Khanna and her staff for an evaluation, dental cleaning, and any other services that may be needed at that time. We encourage patients to see us on a regular basis to monitor their oral health and wellness and keep the smile healthy for life!
Book an Appointment today.
Book an appointment to learn more about oral health and wellness
Contact Dr. Swati Khanna and her team at Dentistry at LaSalle today to book a consultation visit and learn about the advantages of proper oral health habits at home and in the dental office. We are conveniently located for patients looking for care “near me” in the areas of Aldershot and Burlington, ON in Unit #1 of 18 Plains Road West. We can be reached for an appointment at (905) 481-9078 and welcome patients of all ages into our family dental practice for comprehensive, quality dental care.